Frosted gingerbread cookie bars are fudgy, chewy, gooey, and perfect for Christmas! This holiday dessert has all the flavor and spice of gingerbread cookies with none of the complicated decorating. They are sweetened with brown sugar and molasses, then spiced with cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. They’re vegan, dairy-free, and topped with sweet vanilla frosting.
Gingerbread Cookie Bars
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 + 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2–4 tbsp plant-based milk, as needed
- Create the flax egg by mixing ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add vegan butter and brown sugar to a large bowl. Using a handheld electric mixer or stand mixer, beat together until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add flax egg, molasses, and vanilla extract. Beat together until combined. Add flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cloves, and nutmeg. Mix together until flour is evenly incorporated; do not over mix.
- Transfer batter to the baking dish. Spread in an even layer across the base. Bake for 16-18 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool completely. The bars will de-puff while cooling.
- Once the bars have cooled, create the frosting. Add vegan butter to a bowl. Using a handheld electric mixer or stand mixer, beat the butter until soft and creamy. Then, add the sifted powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat the ingredients until evenly combined, adding splashes of plant-based milk (as needed) to thin the consistency.
- Spread the frosting over the gingerbread cookie bars. Top with cinnamon or holiday sprinkles. Slice and enjoy!
- Store these frosted gingerbread cookie bars in a sealed container. They can be kept at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 240
- Sugar: 23g
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: frosted gingerbread cookie bars, gingerbread blondies, vegan christmas desserts