This edible sugar cookie dough recipe is perfectly soft, buttery, and sweet! It’s vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free friendly. The easy recipe is safe to eat since it’s made without eggs and with heat treated flour. Serve it for one by the spoonful or add it to other treats, like ice cream sundaes and cakes. It’s a classic Christmas cookie dough, but you can enjoy it all year long! #cookiedough #sugarcookies #sugarcookiedough #christmascookies #ediblecookiedough #vegancookies #holidaybaking
- 1/2 cup butter or vegan butter, softened (1 stick)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp milk or non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (optional, but recommended)
- 1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour, heat treated* (170 grams)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp white sugar (for topping)
- Heat treat the flour: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the flour across a large baking sheet. Bake for 5-7 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely. If the flour clumps and hardens, break it apart with a spatula. (See notes to learn why this step is important!)
- Cream butter and sugar: Add softened butter and white sugar to a large bowl. Using a handheld electric mixer or a stand mixer, cream together until light and fluffy (1-2 minutes). Add milk, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Cream together once more.
- Add remaining ingredients: Sift the heat-treated flour over the wet batter to remove any clumps. Add salt. Mix together until the flour is evenly incorporated.
- Enjoy: Scoop the sugar cookie dough into large rounds or eat by the spoonful. Sprinkle extra sugar on top to decorate. Enjoy!
- *Why should you heat treat the flour? Raw flour is never safe for consumption. It is important to bake the flour in order to kill off any potential harmful bacteria. Follow the instructions and heat treat the flour before creating the cookie dough. After, be sure to sift the flour to break apart any clumps.
- How to store: Store leftover dough inside a sealed container in the refrigerator. Enjoy it within 5 days. If you would like to store it longterm, keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 235
- Sugar: 18g
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: edible sugar cookie dough, vegan sugar cookie dough