Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas
Chocolate covered frozen bananas are one of the easiest and healthiest desserts! This frozen treat is made with just 3 ingredients. Frozen bananas are dipped in melted chocolate, then rolled in any toppings of your choosing. Try it with crushed nuts, shredded coconut, sprinkles, and more. The recipe is kid-friendly and perfect for hot summer days!
Summer is almost officially here – woohoo! As a Floridian, I fully understand the necessity of frozen treats during this time of year. Most days, we cannot be bothered to turn on the oven as it’s plenty hot outside already. Thankfully, I have just the solution to help us all beat the summer heat!
These chocolate covered frozen bananas are ridiculously easy to make, but oh so delicious. They may look a little fancy at first glance, but you’ll be shocked to learn how easy the recipe is. Only 3 ingredients are needed: bananas, chocolate chips, and coconut oil. You can enjoy the chocolate dipped bananas plain or roll them in various toppings, like granola, shredded coconut, and crushed nuts.
Since these banana pops are stored in the freezer, they’ll be ready to go whenever you need to cool off this season. The creamy frozen bananas truly taste like ice cream, but they are so much healthier for you. Enjoy them poolside, after a long day in the sun, or for dessert on a warm summer evening!
These chocolate dipped bananas are:
- Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, and soy-free
- A quick, easy, and healthy no-bake dessert recipe
- Made with 3 ingredients
- Customizable with various toppings to choose from
- A healthier alternative to ice cream
- The perfect way to cool off during hot weather
- A fun treat for kids to make and eat
How to make chocolate covered bananas
For the full ingredient measurements and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Freeze the banana pops
First, line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. This prevents the bananas from sticking to the pan once frozen.
Next, peel and slice each banana in half. Insert a wooden popsicle stick or lollipop stick into each banana. Be careful not to pierce through the entire banana. Place the bananas inside the freezer for 1 hour (or overnight).
Dip bananas in melted chocolate
After, combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until completely melted.
Then, remove bananas from the freezer. Dip one banana into the melted chocolate, coating nearly the entire fruit.
Immediately roll or sprinkle the banana with crushed nuts (or any toppings of your choosing). Work quickly – the chocolate will harden because the banana is frozen. Repeat with all of the bananas. Serve or keep stored in the freezer for up to 1 week.
The best toppings for chocolate dipped bananas
There are endless ways to customize your chocolate banana pops. Enjoy them plain or try any of the options below! I recommend switching it up for each pop to create various options for friends and family.
- Crushed nuts: almonds, peanuts, and pistachios are tasty choices
- Shredded coconut: give it a tropical flavor with unsweetened desiccated coconut
- Rainbow sprinkles: this option is great for birthdays, parties, and holidays
- Mini chocolate chips: perfect for chocolate lovers
- Granola: granola adds a crispy and crunchy texture
- Freeze-dried fruit: try it with crushed freeze-dried berries for a tart flavor
- Cacao nibs: a healthier alternative to chocolate chips
- Peanut butter drizzle: makes it taste like a frozen peanut butter cup
- Hemp or chia seeds: get a healthy boost of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids
- Flaky sea salt: enjoy a sweet and salty flavor by sprinkling sea salt on top
Can I make it refined sugar-free?
Absolutely! These chocolate covered banana pops contain no added sugar as long as the chocolate chips are sugar-free. I recommend using stevia-sweetened chocolate chips if you follow a low sugar diet. Keep in mind there are natural sugars in the bananas and stick to nutritious toppings (like nuts or seeds).
Can I make it oil-free?
Yes! Coconut oil is an optional ingredient, so you can remove it if you follow an oil-free diet. However, coconut oil definitely enhances the recipe and I recommend including it.
What is the purpose of coconut oil in this recipe? Firstly, coconut oil gives the melted chocolate a thinner consistency. This makes it easier to dip and coat the frozen bananas. Secondly, coconut oil softens the chocolate layer. This makes it easier to bite through, creating less of a mess when you eat them. Overall, it’s a better experience when you use the oil.
How to store chocolate banana pops
These chocolate covered banana pops are a freezer-friendly dessert. Keep them stored inside the freezer in a sealed container. I recommend enjoying them within 1 week.
If you try these Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTube!Print
Frozen chocolate covered bananas are an easy and healthy dessert for summer! The 3 ingredient recipe is made with bananas, chocolate chips, and coconut oil. Add various toppings like crushed nuts, shredded, coconut, sprinkles, and more. This frozen treat is kid-friendly, vegan, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free. #banana #bananas #frozenbananas #frozendesserts #chocolatecovered #bananapops #chocolatecoveredbananas #chocolatebananas #kidfriendly #healthydesserts
- 3 bananas, ripe but firm
- 6 popsicle sticks
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup crushed nuts (or topping of choice)
- Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and slice each banana in half. Insert a popsicle stick into each banana.
- Freeze bananas for 1 hour (or overnight).
- Combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until completely melted.
- Remove bananas from the freezer. Dip one banana into the melted chocolate, coating nearly the entire fruit. Immediately roll or sprinkle the banana with crushed nuts (or any toppings of your choosing). Work quickly – the chocolate will harden because the banana is frozen. Repeat with all of the bananas. Serve or keep stored in the freezer for up to 1 week.
- Optional Toppings: Keep it simple with plain chocolate or decorate with crushed nuts, shredded coconut, granola, sprinkles, cacao nibs, and more.
- How to store: Store banana pops in the freezer inside an airtight container. Enjoy within 1 week.
- Serving Size: 1 banana pop
- Calories: 270
- Sugar: 25g
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: chocolate covered frozen bananas, chocolate dipped bananas, chocolate banana pops
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!