Chocolate Chip Banana Blondies (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
Chocolate chip banana blondies are vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, and ridiculously delicious! They are ultra moist, ooey gooey, fluffy, and loaded with chocolate chips. The one bowl recipe is made with wholesome ingredients, like overripe bananas, almond flour, oat flour, and peanut butter. Enjoy these healthy banana bars for breakfast or as a nutritious dessert!
What happens when fluffy banana bread meets gooey brownies and they fall in love? This. This is what happens. And it’s DELICIOUS. Trust me when I say you need this recipe in your life.
These chocolate chip banana blondies just might be my favorite recipe out of the 150+ I have shared so far. They are melt-in-your-mouth moist, perfectly tender, light and fluffy, and contain puddles of melty chocolate chips in every bite.
The best part? These banana bars are made with healthy ingredients and no refined sugar. They are nutritious enough to be enjoyed for breakfast during busy mornings, but taste indulgent enough to satisfy your post-dinner sweet tooth. So run, don’t walk, to the kitchen and grab that bundle of sad, overripe bananas. Skip the usual loaf of banana bread, and bake these instead. Thank me later! 😉
These chocolate chip banana blondies are:
- Vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, oil-free, and refined sugar-free
- The best way to use overripe bananas
- Sweetened with coconut sugar
- Kid-approved and non-vegan approved
- Freezer friendly
- A yummy baked good for breakfast or a healthy dessert!
What ingredients are in chocolate chip banana bars?
- Bananas: Put your overripe bananas to good use with this baked good! Overripe bananas have yellow peels with brown spots all over them. Since they are sweet and soft, they create a delicious flavor and texture. Do not use green (starchy) bananas.
- Nut butter: Use any nut butter, including peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter. I highly recommend peanut butter as it gives the best flavor.
- Almond flour: Almond flour is made from finely ground almonds. In particular, superfine blanched almond flour will produce the best results.
- Oat flour: Oat flour is made from finely ground rolled oats. If you are following a strict gluten-free diet, be sure you purchase a certified gluten-free kind. It’s possible to make oat flour at home, too! Read my instructions below.
- Coconut sugar: Instead of refined sugar, coconut sugar sweetens this wholesome dessert.
- Plant-based milk: Any type of plant-based milk can be used for this baked good. I always use almond milk, but oat milk or coconut milk will work just as well.
- Vanilla: Add a dash of vanilla extract to enhance the overall flavor. Baked goods aren’t complete without it.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is optional, but I recommend including this warm anti-inflammatory spice.
- Chocolate chips: Use your favorite vegan chocolate chips, semisweet or dark. For a low sugar option, stevia-sweetened chocolate chips taste great.
How to make vegan gluten-free chocolate chip banana blondies
For the full ingredients list and step-by-step instructions, scroll down to view the recipe card below (at the bottom of the page).
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a square baking dish (7×7-inch or 8×8-inch) with parchment paper.
Second, combine all wet ingredients in a bowl. This includes mashed banana, nut butter, coconut sugar, non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract. Mix together until smooth.
Next, add the dry ingredients, including almond flour, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix together until evenly incorporated.
Then, add the chocolate chips. Mix together.
Transfer the batter to the baking dish. Sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top (optional). Bake for 35 minutes.
After, remove the chocolate chip banana bars from the oven. Let cool inside the pan for 30 minutes (or until completely cooled). Gently lift the parchment paper out of the pan. Slice into bars and enjoy!
Tips for perfecting this recipe
How to make oat flour at home
Can’t find oat flour or forget to pick some up at the store? No worries! You can easily make oat flour if you have plain oatmeal on hand.
To make homemade oat flour for this recipe, add 2 cups rolled oats/quick oats to a food processor (or a high-speed blender). Pulse, grind, and blend the oats until a superfine flour is formed. You want it to be as similar to regular flour as possible, so process the oats as much as you can. After, measure 1 cup oat flour and proceed with the recipe.
How to make them nut free
For a nut free bars, use sunflower seed butter or tahini.
How to make them low sugar
To reduce the sugar content, I suggest replacing the coconut sugar with a granulated sugar substitute. Additionally, use stevia-sweetened chocolate chips instead.
How to store the bars
Once the bars have cooled completely, store them in a sealed container on the counter for 3 days. If you live in a hot and humid environment, I recommend storing them in the refrigerator. However, keep in mind the bars will dry out more in the refrigerator (making them less moist). If storing long term, place the bars inside the freezer. They will keep for 2-3 months.
More ways to use overripe bananas
There is no shortage when it comes to vegan banana recipes around here! Browse the options below and discover your favorite:
- The Best Vegan Banana Bread
- Chocolate Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- Blueberry Banana Pancakes (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
- Peanut Butter Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Chunky Monkey Baked Oatmeal
- Chocolate Chip Banana Mug Cake (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- Blueberry Banana Pancakes (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
- Vegan Banana Brownies
If you try these Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Banana Blondies, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTube!Print
Chocolate chip banana blondies are vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, and ridiculously delicious! They are melt-in-your-mouth moist, ooey gooey, fluffy, and loaded with chocolate chips. It’s an easy one bowl recipe made with whole food ingredients, like almond flour, oat flour, and peanut butter. Enjoy these healthy banana bars for breakfast or as a nutritious dessert!
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter, etc.)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk (almond milk, oat milk, etc.)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a square baking dish (7×7-inch or 8×8-inch) with parchment paper. Alternatively, lightly grease the baking dish with oil to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed banana, nut butter, coconut sugar, plant-based milk, and vanilla extract. Mix together until smooth.
- Add almond flour, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix together until flour is evenly incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer batter to the baking dish. Sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top (optional).
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely inside the pan. After, gently lift the parchment paper out of the pan to remove the bars. Slice and enjoy!
- After removing the blondies from the oven, make sure they completely cool inside the pan before slicing. They are super moist, which means they are delicate after baking.
- Keep leftovers stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days. To lengthen freshness, store in the refrigerator. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months.
- This post was originally shared on December 5th, 2019. It was updated on May 13th, 2021. The recipe remained the same.
- Serving Size: 1 blondie
- Calories: 298
- Sugar: 19g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: chocolate chip banana blondies, chocolate chip banana bars, vegan banana recipes
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!