This chocolate cherry smoothie bowl is vegan, dairy-free, and healthy! It’s a tasty blend of tart and sweet flavor made with cherries, cacao powder, banana, and non-dairy milk. Enjoy with a spoon and your favorite toppings!
Chocolate and cherry is a pretty common flavor combination, and that’s for good reason! You’ll often find these ingredients paired together in ice cream, cake, and other desserts. This chocolate cherry smoothie bowl recipe takes that delicious flavor combination and turns it into an easy, healthy breakfast! It’s filled with antioxidants, fiber, and made in just five minutes with four ingredients.
What ingredients are in this chocolate cherry smoothie recipe?
This healthy smoothie is made with simple ingredients: cherries, banana, cacao powder, and non-dairy milk.
- Cherries are packed with nutrients, antioxidants, and may benefit heart health.
- Cacao powder is rich in flavanols which provide beneficial anti-inflammatory effects. Alternatively, you can swap cocoa powder for the cacao powder.
- Bananas provide various health benefits. They are high in fiber which promotes healthy digestion.
- Non-dairy milk can include any plant milk of your choosing! I recommend almond milk or coconut milk. If you aren’t strictly dairy-free, you can use regular milk instead.
How to make a chocolate cherry smoothie bowl
This easy smoothie bowl is made with just three steps!
First, you’ll need to freeze a ripe banana. A ripe banana has a yellow peel with brown specks. Ripe bananas are sweet and absolutely perfect for smoothies! To do this, remove the peel and place the banana in a ziplock bag or airtight container. Keep in the freezer until frozen (overnight is recommended). Note: If you make smoothies often, I suggest keeping frozen bananas in your freezer at all times. This way, you’ll always have them on hand! Bananas will remain fresh for at least 1 month in the freezer.
Second, add the ingredients to a blender. This includes frozen banana, black cherries, cacao powder, and almond milk. Blend til smooth.
Third, transfer the smoothie to a bowl. Top with any ingredients of your choosing. Enjoy with a spoon!
- Use frozen fruit for this recipe. In my opinion, frozen fruit is superior to fresh fruit when it comes to creating a smoothie bowl. Why should you use frozen fruit for smoothie bowls? It helps create a thick, creamy consistency and allows you to add toppings. The texture is similar to soft serve ice cream and consumed with a spoon.
- More liquid creates a thinner smoothie while less liquid creates a thicker one. If you want a traditional smoothie that you can drink through a straw, simply add more non-dairy milk! On the other hand, you can omit the non-dairy milk completely if you have a high powered blender.
- Add your favorite toppings! I added coconut flakes, cacao nibs, sliced banana, and fresh black cherries. Other delicious options include almond butter, granola, blueberries, and dark chocolate chips.
If you love this recipe, you may also enjoy these healthy smoothie bowls:
If you try this Chocolate Cherry Smoothie Bowl, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Instagram and YouTube!Print
This chocolate cherry smoothie bowl is the perfect combination of tart and sweet! It’s a delicious blend of rich cacao powder and tart black cherries. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy it with a spoon.
- 1 frozen ripe banana (peel removed prior to freezing)
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 2 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (such as almond or coconut)
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender.
- Blend til smooth. Note: You can add additional non-dairy milk as needed, depending on the power of your blender. Remember more liquid creates a thinner consistency while less liquid creates a thicker consistency.
- Transfer smoothie to a bowl. Top with fresh fruit, granola, nuts, and/or seeds.
- To freeze a ripe banana, remove the peel and place the banana in a ziplock bag or airtight container. Keep stored in the freezer. Frozen bananas keep fresh for at least 1 month.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 32g
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 55g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: chocolate cherry smoothie bowl, cherry smoothie vegan
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!