This apple pie smoothie bowl is sweet, refreshing, and so easy to make. With vegan and gluten-free ingredients like oats, dates, cinnamon, and nutmeg, this is a delicious recipe for the fall season. It’s healthy enough to be enjoyed for breakfast, but tasty enough to feel like dessert. It’s like caramel apple pie in smoothie bowl form!
The weather may be getting cooler, but that does not mean it’s time to say goodbye to smoothies. You’re sadly mistaken if you think I’m giving up one of my favorite breakfasts just because summer is over!
With apple season in full swing, I thought it was only natural to put this sweet red fruit to good use. While it may be more common to make actual apple pie, this is my way of satisfying my smoothie bowl obsession and getting to feel like I’m participating in the fall shenanigans. So, it’s really a win-win scenario if you ask me!
The apple adds a sweet-yet-tart flavor, frozen banana provides a creamy consistency, and medjool dates add a subtle caramel sweetness. It basically tastes like a caramel-covered apple, but as a smoothie bowl. Enjoy it for breakfast, as an afternoon snack, or curb your post-dinner cravings with this delicious, yet wholesome and healthy, treat!
This apple pie smoothie bowl is:
- Vegan, dairy-free, soy-free, and gluten-free
- Refreshing, sweet, tart, and nutty
- Flavored with hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger
- Made with simple and nutritious ingredients
- Ready in 5 minutes // super easy to make
- A delicious breakfast recipe for the fall season!
What ingredients are in an apple pie smoothie bowl?
- Apple: Use your favorite type of apple for this smoothie. I highly recommend honey crisp.
- Oats: Either rolled oats or quick oats work for this recipe. Do not use steel cut oats, as they need to be cooked before consuming.
- Banana: Be sure your banana is ripe (a yellow peel with brown spots) and peeled before freezing.
- Medjool dates: Don’t forget to remove the pits. Medjool dates provide a natural sweetness without the need for added sugar.
- Vanilla: A dash of vanilla adds a delicious flavor to any smoothie, but especially dessert-style smoothies like this one.
- Oat milk: Oat milk pairs perfectly with the other ingredients, but any other variety of plant-based milk will work in this recipe.
- Warm spices: Cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg add a subtle warmth and tasty seasonal flavor.
The best toppings for an apple pie smoothie
Toppings are the best part of any smoothie bowl! To fit with the apple pie theme, we’ll add a variety ingredients typically found in seasonal fall recipes. Check out 10 delicious smoothie bowl topping ideas below:
- Chopped apples
- Chopped medjool dates
- Crushed pecans or walnuts
- Coconut flakes
- Almond butter, peanut butter, or cashew butter
- Rolled oats or quick oats
- Dried fruit (raisins or dried cranberries)
- Pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, or hemp seeds
- A sprinkle of cinnamon
Use frozen ripe bananas. Ripe bananas have a yellow peel with brown spots all over it. Remove the peel, then place the banana(s) in a sealed container or bag inside the freezer. Bananas will freeze within 1-2 hours. If you enjoy smoothie bowls often, I recommend keeping several frozen bananas in the freezer at all times (they last for up to 3 months). That way, they’ll be ready to go whenever you’re craving a smoothie!
Don’t forget to pit the medjool dates. Remove the pits from your medjool dates prior to blending the ingredients.
For a thick smoothie: Use frozen chopped apple instead of a fresh chopped apple. Apples have a high water content, which causes this recipe to be thinner than most smoothie bowls. If you want the consistency to be super thick and creamy, I suggest including a frozen chopped apple instead.
More vegan smoothie bowl recipes
- Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Chocolate Cherry Smoothie Bowl
- Mango Turmeric Smoothie Bowl
- Strawberry Kiwi Smoothie Bowl
- Blueberry Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie Bowl
- Berry Acai Bowl
- Kiwi Pear Smoothie Bowl
- Raspberry Mango Smoothie Bowl
- Pineapple Kale Smoothie Bowl
This apple pie smoothie bowl is an easy and healthy fall breakfast recipe! It’s made with vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free ingredients like apples, oats, dates, cinnamon, and oat milk. You can finally enjoy apple pie for breakfast with this dessert smoothie recipe! #apple #smoothiebowl #pumpkinspice #smoothie #smoothierecipe #smoothierecipeshealthy #smoothiediet #veganbreakfast #applepierecipe #thanksgiving #thanksgivingrecipe #friendsgiving
Apple Pie Smoothie
- 1 red or green apple, cored and chopped
- 1 frozen ripe banana, peeled prior to freezing
- ¼ cup rolled oats or quick oats
- 2 medjool dates, pitted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅓ cup oat milk, or any plant-based milk
- Chopped apple
- Chopped medjool dates
- Crushed pecans
- Almond butter
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer smoothie to bowl(s). Add your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
- Be sure to use a ripe frozen banana. Ripe bananas have a yellow peel with brown spots all over it. Once your banana is ripe, remove the peel and store the banana inside a container in the freezer. You can freeze several bananas at a time, and they will last for up to 3 months.
- This recipe is best with a powerful blender, like the Vitamix blender.
- Serving Size: ½ recipe
- Calories: 200
- Fat: 1.5g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: apple pie smoothie bowl, apple smoothie bowl
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I personally use, trust, and love!